sunjin

2010년 6월 11일 금요일

May 11, 13 Schema and Background Knowledge in L2 Comprehension

Option 1: Does a schema activate your reading process? Talk about your case episode how schema helps your reading or no schema retards your reading.
Option 2: Search for teaching techniques (ex. activities) to provide students with background knowledge for better reading and introduce one.

I choose Option 1.
There are two different schema, one is content schema that relevant to the content area and cultural knowledge, and the other is formal schema that represent the background knowledge the reader has regarding how syntax is used to structure text, cohesive relations, and the rhetorical organization of different text types.

I think I activate more content schema than formal schema when I read the book. For example, when I studied for entering the university, I read English script in the workbook. I could easily read the script when I accustomed that subject. I was interested in environment and social science, but when I contacted with art or economy, I usually made a mistake. Knowledge of the background help to read the book quickly and easily.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기